Online Sports Betting in LouisianaPublished: | Updated:
Welcome to safe and legal gambling in Louisiana! The Pelican State is the home of jazz and Mardi Gras in New Orleans, inspired by its rich French and African American influence. Most would say Louisiana is unique, beautiful, and magical.
Located southeast on the Gulf of Mexico, Louisiana is famous for its wetlands and agriculture. Naturally, fishing is very popular for both amateurs and professionals. Sports fishing often attracts more extensive crowds and even larger fish. If you’re into other sports in LA, there are many alternatives. Have you ever heard about sports betting?
Sports betting is now legal in Louisiana. Keep reading to learn more about licensed betting operators in LA and how to bet safely.
Popular sports in Louisiana
The Pelican State is represented in NBA by none other than New Orleans Pelicans! Previously known as the New Orleans Hornets, this basketball team changed its name in 2013 to New Orleans Pelicans.
Not to be confused with the state’s best football team, New Orleans Saints. This NFL team won Super Bowl XLIV in 2010, which the state proudly still promotes. The Pelican State has actually hosted several Super Bowls, thanks to their large venue Caesars Superdome. Hopefully, The Saints will win the Super Bowl again soon! Keep an eye on Jake’s NFL betting tips here.
Legal sports betting in Louisiana
The Pelican State’s motto, “Union, Justice, Confidence,” is also reflected in the betting regulation. Although it took some time to go live, LA signed the bill in 2020. However, it would take another year before legal and safe betting would be law.
Finally, Louisiana launched legal betting in January 2002. In the first year of operations, sports betting revenue generated $32 million for the state. The state allows up to 40 different operators to get licenses, but not all of the parishes in LA allow legal and licensed betting. Only 55 of the 64 parishes are available to bet on inside Louisiana.
10 fun facts about sports and betting in Louisiana
- Legal sports betting in Louisiana was signed into law by Governor John Bel Edwards.
- The legal betting operations were launched on January 22nd, 2022.
- Operators in LA pay a 10% tax on online betting revenue and 15% for retail betting revenue.
- The Pelican State offers many race tracks, casinos, and riverboats to enjoy betting.
- College sports betting is allowed in Louisiana.
- Daily Fantasy Sports Contests are allowed in only 47 of 64 Louisiana parishes.
- The Louisiana Gaming Control Board (LGCB) oversees all betting activity and regulation.
- The legal betting age in Louisiana is 21 years old.
- The famous basketball player Shaquille O’Neal was raised in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
- The Louisiana betting law allows up to 41 licensed online operators, while currently, there are only 20+.
Responsible gambling in LA
You can always contact the National Problem Gambling Hotline for support at 1-800-522-4700. The call is anonymous, and the phone hotline is available 24/7/365 toll-free. You can also text the number 1-800-522-4700 or enter the website chat here.
Want to learn more about online casinos and sports gambling? Follow our Online Gamblers Academy and learn how to have fun responsibly!
Online sports betting launched in January 2022, and you can place bets on sports and other events on a list of legal and safe operators.
It is a hard question as every player has their own preferences and wishes. Have a look at the reviews prepared by the Online Gamblers team and make your choice!
The biggest sports betting place in the USA is Circa Las Vegas.