Online Sports Betting in IowaPublished: | Updated:
Is online sports betting legal in Iowa? We are happy to confirm that online sports betting is permitted in the State since it was legalized in August 2019.
Sports betting operators are regulated by the Iowa Racing and Gaming Commission, which regulates all aspects of gaming activity in the State. Legal betting has been available for Hawkeyes since 2019.
However, before 2021, bettors had to sign up in person at a casino. Not anymore, as now you can register, deposit, and bet online from anywhere within Iowa state. Keep in mind that the gambling age in Iowa is 21, and any underage wagering is forbidden.
Online Gamblers take pride in promoting responsible and healthy gambling habits. This includes playing with operators that offer consumer protection on their gambling websites. So we have prepared the best Iowa Sportsbooks and betting sites for 2024.
Iowa sportsbook promos in 2024
Iowa online sports betting has been officially legal for a while now. This means that there are plenty of sportsbooks to choose from. You can enjoy varied selections of bets, types of parleys, and bet on major leagues. Of course, after registering to the sites, you also have access to many college and international game bets. Check out the best IA online sports betting promos from legal and regulated sites:
10 fun facts about sports betting in Iowa
- The Hawkeye State legalized sports betting in 2019, shortly after the Supreme Court struck down the federal ban in 2018.
- It only took four months to go live in Iowa. From the bi-partisan legislative passage in April 2019, betting went live in August 2019. This is thanks to Gov. Kim Reynolds.
- Iowa launched online and land-based sports betting at the same time.
- After the launch in 2019, Iowa required in-person registrations to bet online. This was removed in 2021.
- Sports betting in Iowa is regulated by the Iowa Racing and Gaming Commission.
- Football is the most popular sport to bet on in Iowa, with the Iowa Hawkeyes and the Iowa State Cyclones as two of the biggest betting attractions.
- In Iowa, you can place bets on various sports, including football, basketball, baseball, hockey, and golf.
- The State of Iowa does not allow wagering on high school sports, politics, or entertainment-related events.
- It’s not allowed to bet on e-sports or NFL drafts in Indiana.
- Iowa offers to bet on College Sports.
Popular Sports in Iowa 2024
Although Iowa does not have professional sports teams, the State is full of sports fans. Football is the most popular sport in Iowa – with most residents following an NFL team from a nearby city. The Green Bay Packers, Chicago Bears, and Minnesota Vikings all feature fanbases in Iowa. But college football reigns supreme, as people grow up often rooting for either the Iowa Hawkeyes or Iowa State Cyclones (NCAAF).
Though the Hawkeyes and Cyclones are a famous rivalry in basketball, they aren’t as consistently good or watched as their football programs. The last time that either of the schools featured a dominant basketball program was back in the 1980s. The Hawkeyes reached the Final Four (of March Madness) three times in ten years.
You can place wagers on college programs in Iowa without any issues. However, Iowa doesn’t allow player prop bets on college athletes. It is legal to bet on college sports in Iowa, including in-state teams like the Iowa Hawkeyes or Iowa State Cyclones.
Famous Players / Athletes from Iowa
Despite not having professional sports franchises, Iowa has been (historically) a breeding ground for professional athletes. Some of the greatest to come from Iowa are listed below:
- 8x MLB All-Star
- 1948 World Series Champion
- Triple Crown Winner (1940)
- 6x AL wins leader
- AL ERA Leader (1940)
- Pitched three no-hitters
- MLB Hall of Fame
- Two-time NCAA Division 1 national champion (wrestling)
- Olympic Gold medalist
- World Gold Medalist
- Inducted into United World Wrestling’s Hall of Fame
- 2008 Olympic balance beam gold medalist
- 2008 Olympic all-around and floor exercise silver medalist
- 2007 all-around World Champion
- 5x Pan American Games gold medalist
Safe and Legal Sports Wagering in Iowa
The Pari-Mutuel Wagering Act created the Iowa Racing & Gaming Commission in May 1983. The Act provides for a Commission that consists of five members. Governor appoints them, and the members cannot serve longer than a three-year term at the pleasure of the Governor.
The Iowa Racing and Gaming Commission regulates all aspects of gaming activity in the State. It administers the laws and rules on pari-mutuel wagering at racetracks, gambling at excursion gambling boats, gambling structures, and racetrack enclosures. To add, the commission controls sports wagering and Daily Fantasy Sports contests to ensure the integrity of licensed participants and operations for the State and the wagering public.
Online Gamblers take gambling seriously, and if you ever suspect that you can’t control your gambling habits, don’t hesitate to reach out to the National Problem Gambling Hotline at 1-800-522-4700. The call is confidential, and you can stay anonymous if you wish. The phone hotline is available 24/7/365, but it’s possible to text the number 1-800-522-4700 or enter the website chat here.
Want to learn more about online casinos and sports gambling? Follow our Online Gamblers Academy and learn how to have fun responsibly!
Yes, it is legal to bet on sports online as Iowa became the 11th state to permit retail and online sports betting in 2019.
If you choose to bet on sports online, you are in luck! It is legal to place sports bets online, and the operators are regulated by Iowa Racing and Gaming Commission.
If you want to learn more about how to bet on sports, check out our Online Academy page and learn how to bet on sports safely!
Yes, you can legally bet on sports online since 2019. Interesting fact that before 2021, punters from Iowa had to sign up in person at a casino, however now you register, deposit and bet online as long as you are within Iowa state.
The Iowa Racing and Gaming Commission regulates sports betting in Iowa.
The gambling age in Iowa is 21, and underage wagering is forbidden.
No, the State of Iowa does not allow wagering on high school sports.
Player prop bets on college athletes are not allowed in Iowa.