Online Sports Betting goes live in Massachusetts

Share:

Online sports betting officially went live in the state on March 10, 2023. To add, in-person sports betting launched a couple of weeks before, on January 31. This means betting on sports with a licensed sportsbook from anywhere in the state is legal. It was great timing, as March Madness starts soon as well. This will be a great occasion to try several ways of mobile betting on professional and college tournaments.

From March 10, players could place their bets via sportsbooks operated by Barstool, Betr, BetMGM, Caesars, DraftKings, Fanduel, and WynnBet. In the following period, more operators will join the group.massachusetts march madness

Jason Robins, CEO of DraftKings, commented, “It was just over ten years ago when we launched DraftKings from a spare bedroom in Watertown, and now, we are proud to have the opportunity to deliver a safe and legal sports betting product to millions of diehard sports fans across Massachusetts. This launch will mark a major milestone for our company, and we’re proud to become the hometown sportsbook for customers in the Commonwealth.”

Essentially, the process started with An Act regulating sports wagering in the summer of 2022. During the next few months, the Massachusetts gaming commission discussed the options for regulating this market, resulting in the final approval of mobile wagering. By that act, Massachusetts became one of 26 states that allowed online sports betting.

To add, the Department of Administration and Finance shared that the industry will bring in more than $100 million. From this, 60% will be paid in taxes, and the other 40% will be spent on licensing fees.

The Massachusetts gaming commission already received a report from the first day of in-person betting on March Madness. The revenue is impressive – the players spent more than $500.000 that day, which brought the state about $10.000 in taxes.

Source: news.worldcasinodirectory.com 

Read more on What to Know about 2023 March Madness

Read more on Massachusetts allows Affiliate Marketing for Sports operators

Liga Tarasova has a history of quality assurance and leading teams in an outsourcing company. Currently, she is working remotely as an Editor in Chief for Onlinegamblers.com. She stands for fair and safe gambling for people in the USA. Not long ago, she lived in Malta, the global iGaming hub, and worked at an iGaming company offering cloud-based product and platform services to B2B partners. Liga’s passion is visual arts and interior design.

Related news

Show all news
1

Ty (Tex) Twine Joins Toppem Sports As Executive Chairman

Exclusive interview with Ty Twine, the new executive chairman of Toppem Sports, on his vision for the company’s future in sports technology.

2

2024 Guide for Top Basketball Cities in the U.S.

Explore the top cities for basketball fans in 2024, including Los Angeles, Boston, and San Francisco. Click here!

3

Betr Moves Closer to Maryland Launch with Initial License Approval

Learn about Betr getting an initial approval for Maryland sports betting license, its challenges and expansion plans. Click here for more!