In September 2022, a Responsible Gaming Coalition of nine online gaming operators came together to create a 12-point contract of responsible gambling standards. The original six members of the coalition included some of America’s biggest operators, such as FanDuel, Entain, BetMGM, Bally’s, MGM Resorts International, and DraftKing’s responsible gaming efforts. The coalition encouraged their affiliate partners, including content providers, social media influencers, accounts, and brand ambassadors, to implement the responsible gaming (RG) pledges they had agreed to undertake.
The 12 responsible gaming principles are taken from four core areas, including participation only in legal markets with consumer protections, instilling a responsible gaming culture, treating online gaming as an entertainment activity, and providing additional tools and support for those who need it. Each operator must uphold these 12 principles and report on activities aligning with the principles to date.
Complete list of Responsible Gambling (RG) principles:
- We take active steps to prevent underage and excluded individuals from participating in any form of gaming within our products.
- We help patrons make informed choices about their gaming. We provide easy-to-read information about how to play, provide RG tools, including information on how to access and use such tools and provide other related information, including information about the toll-free helpline, as well as resources for those who are seeking support related to their gaming.
- We support adopting and effectively promoting a unified nationwide RG toll-free helpline.
- We abide by applicable standards of socially responsible advertising, including compliance with all applicable state and federal laws and standards, and we avoid using minors in marketing content.
- We only use actors and company representatives in advertising and social media relating to gaming who reasonably appear to be above the legal age to gamble.
- We provide our customers with tools to play responsibly, including but not limited to self-exclusion tools, financial and other account limits, as well as customer betting histories.
- We abide by all self-exclusion rules and regulations and provide resources to individuals who make a choice to self-exclude.
- We encourage patrons to set a budget that they can afford and never play beyond their means, not view gaming as a means to financial success. We encourage patrons to set time and financial limits on gaming and stick to them, not chase losses.
- We believe in a shared responsibility approach to addressing problem gaming and are committed to working with policymakers, academic experts and researchers, problem gaming treatment organizations, advocacy groups, and our partners, as well as with our customers, to promote RG and address problem gaming.
- We support funding for evidence-based problems and RG research.
- We provide all applicable employees with RG training upon hire and regularly thereafter in order to embed RG culture in our businesses.
- We are committed to evaluating and monitoring our respective RG programs and initiatives.
Responsible Gambling Coalition
Just currently, Fanatics, Hard Rock Digital, and PointsBet have joined the coalition to promote responsible gambling. The members launched RG tools, appointed ambassadors, and partnered with the NCPG.
Anthony D’Angelo, Senior Manager of Responsible Gaming for Fanatics Betting & Gaming, said they commit to the 12 responsible gaming principles. Danny Crook, SVP of Operations at Hard Rock Digital, is pleased to promote responsible gambling. Rachel Kasper, SVP of Legal and Compliance of PointsBet US, emphasized their commitment to responsible gambling and collaboration with stakeholders.
Additionally, the principles will have an external review by experts for future guidance. The coalition’s commitment to responsible gambling reflects a growing awareness of its importance. It’s crucial to prioritize customers’ well-being and maintain responsible gaming practices as the industry expands. The Responsible Gaming Coalition’s efforts are a positive step toward creating a safer and more responsible online gaming environment.
Related newsShow all news
What is Vegas Infinite by PokerStars VR?
Learn about the new Vegas Infinite, a VR and PC experience by PokerStars. Social and thrilling casino games, poker & more in VR.
FanDuel Is Number 1 In Responsible Gaming Education
Explore FanDuel’s commitment to Responsible Gaming, their ambassadors and their gambling limits commercials for safe betting in the US.